Humphreys Diabetes Center
St. Luke's Humphreys Diabetes Center provides consultation, education, and support for children and adults with diabetes from Idaho and surrounding states. Over 400 physicians refer patients to the center, and our registered nurses and dietitians serve more than 2,000 clients each year.
The center is located at 1226 River Street in Boise.
For more information, call (208) 331-1155.
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes occurs when the body can't make energy from food, and sugar stays in the blood instead of going into the cells. There are two types:
- Type 1, where onset is sudden due to the body's inability to produce insulin.
- Type 2, most commonly found in people with a family history who are overweight, or of African American, Hispanic American, or Native American heritage. Ninety percent of people with diabetes have type 2 diabetes. Studies show that type 2 diabetes is increasing in adolescents and young adults.
Diabetes no longer has to mean blindness, kidney failure, nerve damage, amputations, stroke, impotence, heart disease, or early death. Good self-management of blood sugar through food, medication, exercise, and stress management effectively prevents or significantly reduces the complications of diabetes.
St. Luke's Humphreys Diabetes Center offers a wide variety of services including:
- Diabetes Self-Management Classes
- Diabetes Prevention Classes
- Individual Consultations
- Behavioral Health Services
- Insulin Training
- Insulin Pump Training
- Continuous Glucose Sensor Training
- Don Scott Diabetes Family Camp
Diabetes Risk Test
Visit the American Diabetes Association website to assess your risk for Type 2 diabetes.
Recognized for Excellence
St. Luke’s Humphreys Diabetes Center is recognized by the American Diabetes Association as a quality diabetes self-management education program. The center first earned the Education Recognition Certificate in 1992, and has been a certified program ever since, most recently in 2014. The certificate is reviewed every four years, and confirms that St. Luke’s Humphreys Diabetes Center meets the National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education Programs. For more information, visit diabetes.org/erp.