About St. Luke's MSTI
A Brief History
St. Luke's Mountain States Tumor Institute (MSTI) was born of vision and necessity. In 1953, St. Luke's organized the first physician "tumor board" to care for cancer patients. By 1957, an isotope lab for cancer treatment was opened, and shortly thereafter St. Luke's started providing cobalt therapy. The fight against cancer had begun in Idaho - at St. Luke's.
St. Luke's physicians and administrators believed, as other community leaders did, that Boise needed, and St. Luke's should provide, a comprehensive regional cancer care center. In 1968, a community task force was formed to secure a federal grant, and by 1971, St. Luke's MSTI became the first comprehensive cancer care and referral center for the region.
A commitment to cancer education, screening,
and prevention programs quickly became a vital part of St. Luke's MSTI's
mission, just as it is today.
By 1973, St. Luke's MSTI opened its first Breast Cancer Detection Center (BCDC) in Boise, one of the first in the nation funded by a special grant from the National Cancer Institute. Now, four conveniently located BCDCs serve patients in the Treasure Valley community, and our mobile mammography coach travels to cities throughout southwest Idaho.
Expanding Our Care
Since 1902, St. Luke's has grown with the population we serve through a community-centered vision of care. Our commitment to good health has attracted some of the country's finest talent - highly skilled physicians, nurses, and other professionals who work as an experienced team to meet the health needs of our region. The growth of St. Luke's MSTI services consistently focuses on meeting the needs of our growing community.
As the population in areas west of Boise grew in the 1980s, St. Luke's MSTI recognized the need to provide services to cancer patients closer to where they live. In 1991, St. Luke's MSTI Nampa opened to serve patients in the west Treasure Valley. This facility supports the quality of care offered to cancer patients in Canyon County and also provides complete planning, treatment, and support services. Since that time, St. Luke's MSTI has expanded its services by opening clinics in Meridian, Twin Falls, and Fruitland, and physician clinics in McCall and Mountain Home.
St. Luke's MSTI has partnered with Holy Rosary Medical Center in Ontario, Oregon to provide cancer care for patients in that area. New patient evaluation and follow-up visits as well as chemotherapy treatments are offered at the Holy Rosary facility as well as the Fruitland and Nampa locations.
Today, St. Luke's MSTI continues to provide an innovative range of leading-edge services such as blood and marrow transplant (BMT), stereotactic radiation therapy, image guided radiation therapy (IGRT), intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), and high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy. For more than 40 years, St. Luke's MSTI's medical and technical professionals have provided advanced comprehensive cancer care for the people of our region.