ACLS - EP
(ACLS for Experienced Providers)
This provider course implements the AHA ACLS guidelines established in 2005. The primary learning goals of the ACLS-EP Course are to:
- Provide an alternative method of ACLS provider renewal
- Offer continuing education learning experience to healthcare professionals whose scope of practice includes resuscitation.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate primary and secondary ABCD surveys with modifications appropriate for special situations such as hypothermia, submersion, anaphylaxis, trauma, toxicology, advanced coronary syndromes, lightning & electrical shock, cardiac arrest in pregnancy, electrolyte and acid-base emergencies.
- Demonstrate understanding of AHA algorithms as related to the core cases of ACLS
- Apply knowledge of ECG interpretation, skills stations, and algorithms to successful completion of mega code and written exam
Participants must be competent interpreting ECG rhythm strips. This is an ACLS renewal course therefore; you must be a current ACLS provider in order to be eligible to take the class. The learner must demonstrate understanding of the 2005 ACLS guidelines including the ACLS algorithms. There will be minimal review of the guidelines on the day of class.
This is a one-day renewal option. The morning half of the class allows the instructors to verify your airway management, CPR/AED and Cardiopulmonary Arrest management skills. You are required to successfully complete the ACLS exam (this is the same exam offered in all ACLS Provider classes). The afternoon of the class involves group learning/group discussion opportunities in areas specific to the more seasoned practitioner such as hypothermia, submersion, anaphylaxis, trauma, toxicology, advanced coronary syndromes, lightning & electrical shock, cardiac arrest in pregnancy, electrolyte and acid-base emergencies in both pre-hospital and inpatient/outpatient settings.
The class is team-taught by a combination of paramedics, nurses and physicians who bring a wealth of experience to the class. At the successful completion of the class, you receive an AHA ACLS-EP card in place of your regular AHA ACLS card. You do not need both cards since ACLS-EP is a higher-level accomplishment.
To register, call the Education Department at 381-1501. Please have your current ACLS or ACLS-EP card ready when you call to register.
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in BLS, ACLS, and PALS and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course material, do not represent income to the Association